Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Searching .fmb files using xp search
Searching .fmb files using xp search [message #202530] Fri, 10 November 2006 03:50 Go to next message
hbdev
Hi there,

Does anyone know how to search for a specific string in .FMB files using the Mindows XP search facility?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Searching .fmb files using xp search [message #202535 is a reply to message #202530] Fri, 10 November 2006 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
I *think* that I know.

You can not do that using XP's search facility. Search the Internet for a freeware (hopefully) which would do that for you.
Re: Searching .fmb files using xp search [message #202546 is a reply to message #202535] Fri, 10 November 2006 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maaher
I have created once an OFCE (Oracle Forms Code Exctractor) that made use of JDAPI. All Forms code (including, Default_where, order_by, LOV...) was uploaded to the database and a simple MOD PLSQL page allowed people to search for code. It proved to be quite handy.

Another option I can think of is to convert all FMB files to FMT.

MHE
Re: Searching .fmb files using xp search [message #202801 is a reply to message #202546] Sun, 12 November 2006 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Converting FMB to FMT will give rise to non-human readable double-byte character set output in Forms 9i and higher. You can convert 9i and higher to XML and then do the search or look at one of the low price forms tools like FormsTool at http://www.orcl-toolbox.com/formstool.asp

David
Re: Searching .fmb files using xp search [message #205516 is a reply to message #202801] Sat, 25 November 2006 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
martandjoshi
Hi,

This is a problem of the Windows XP. Please go to following link. This will help u out to get the solution

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_bad_search.htm

Martand
Re: Searching .fmb files using xp search [message #205519 is a reply to message #205516] Sat, 25 November 2006 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tareq
Hello

you can use the JDAPI to open the forms and search for a specific words, also you can change every thing in the form by using that, there is many examples for this issue.

Regards
Tareq Haddadin
Re: Searching .fmb files using xp search [message #207969 is a reply to message #202530] Thu, 07 December 2006 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tessdeveloper
I was able to alter the xp search to search through the .fmb files.

All you have to do is click start -> search -> for files and folders. Click change preferences, then (if you have the option) click 'with indexing service'. This will ask you if you want to enable indexing service or not. click yes to enable it. Then below this there should be a link to change indexing service settings (advanced) - click this. This will open the indexing service window. right click on system and choose properties. go to the third tab, i.e. generation and click on 'index files with unknown extensions' and apply this.

once you have done this. The xp search should then be able to search for a string through a .fmb file.
Re: Searching .fmb files using xp search [message #208098 is a reply to message #207969] Fri, 08 December 2006 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
It sounds extraordinary!

But ... there are no results to display (although I chose correct directory and existing string to search). I followed all steps you mentioned, but something isn't right. There is Windows Help available about the Indexing Service which leads you further and further, and I'll read it (some day, unless you figure out what I did wrong).

Funny thing is that textual files (.txt, .pks, .pkb, even .doc) are correctly scanned and search facility finds files that contain string I'm interested in. But .FMB's or .RDF's - nope.

Do you have any idea what might be wrong? Did YOU, actually, get the result? Or was it just a theory?
Re: Searching .fmb files using xp search [message #208120 is a reply to message #202530] Fri, 08 December 2006 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scorpio_biker
Hi,

I use Agent Ransack - its freeware. You can specifiy the file name(s) and search string and it will tell you which fmb it's in.

It does show the text, but it can't translate control characters so it looks a bit like gobbledegook. The text shown is just as a big block so you can't tell where the string is, just that it's in the fmb.

I checked it with 10g fmb files.
HTH
Re: Searching .fmb files using xp search [message #208132 is a reply to message #208120] Fri, 08 December 2006 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
OK, using freeware/shareware/whateverware is a possible solution, but it doesn't answer the original question: search using MS Windows XP Search facility.
Re: Searching .fmb files using xp search [message #208457 is a reply to message #208132] Mon, 11 December 2006 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Is it possible that the search facility can't go past a hex '00' (end-of-file) marker? To understand the problem try opening an FMB file in word pad.

David
Re: Searching .fmb files using xp search [message #208569 is a reply to message #208098] Mon, 11 December 2006 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tessdeveloper
It wasn't a theory. I did get it to work.

Have a quick check in the more advanced options tab in xp search and check to see if the Oracle Developer Forms suite is listed among the type of files in the dropdown list of all file types. I thinking it should be there though, so I'm not really sure why it is not working for you.
Re: Searching .fmb files using xp search [message #208581 is a reply to message #208569] Mon, 11 December 2006 07:29 Go to previous message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Yes, I have "Oracle Developer Form Module" listed in the "Type of file" dropdown list.

When I selected it, XP Search did find two forms which contain a package I named in the "A word or phrase in the file". But it didn't find the form I'm 100% certain it contains it ... so, it doesn't work very reliable for me Sad
Previous Topic: sending fax
Next Topic: Session Maintenance in Forms
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 15:25:13 CDT 2024