Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » using SYSDATE does not store time
using SYSDATE does not store time [message #161044] Wed, 01 March 2006 10:38 Go to next message
corus
Hi there,

After having read many previous posts on the forum regarding the usage of Date formats, I still haven't managed to find a reasonable answer to my problem.

I am basically trying to insert dates (date+time, using sysdate) into a table column of type 'DATE'. I am using Oracle Forms Developer 6i to do this. The database I am using is Oracle 10G 10.2.0.1.0.

I would like to get the following date format when doing this:
'DD-MON-RR HH24:MI:SS'

I have tried many different things to get both date + time stored together in the table column, but with no luck. For some strange reason, when I use sysdate to insert today's date into another 'DATE' column, it would work fine. It seems as if sysdate is not reliable to always get both date and time into a field, from inside Forms.

I have tried the following queries, but with no luck:
1) select sysdate into :date_field from sys.dual;
2) :date_field := sysdate
3) :date_field := to_date(sysdate,'DD-MON-RR HH24:MI:SS')
4) select to_date(sysdate,'DD-MON-RR HH24:MI:SS') into :date_field from sys.dual;

Using these queries would only store the date in format 'DD-MON-RR' or 'DD-MON-RR 00:00:00'

In forms, the :date_field is of type Date and I have included 'DD-MON-RR HH24:MI:SS'as its format mask.

I have also tried altering the session to set NLS_DATE_FORMAT to 'DD-MM'YYYY HH24:MI:SS' to kind of force it to show both date and time, but this syntax is not accepted in Forms. Would it be possible to change the DATE_FORMAT settings for the actual table NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS?

I will be glad to provide more information if needed.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Regards and Thanks,

Michael
Re: using SYSDATE does not store time [message #161512 is a reply to message #161044] Sun, 05 March 2006 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
You say:
Quote:

In forms, the :date_field is of type Date
Make the type DateTime and it should work.

David
Re: using SYSDATE does not store time [message #161581 is a reply to message #161512] Mon, 06 March 2006 02:37 Go to previous message
corus
Thanks David,

I will have a try.

Michael
Previous Topic: upload file using file browser dialog box
Next Topic: Creating a main menu - help me
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 05:43:01 CDT 2024