Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » ora-12514 error tns: no listener
icon9.gif  ora-12514 error tns: no listener [message #140724] Wed, 05 October 2005 06:51 Go to next message
lilicen
HI All,

I recently installed Oracle 10g and Oracle 9iDeveloper Suite in two different folders. I have also copied tnsnames.ora from Oracle 10g to replace tnsname.ora in Oracle DS. I've checked the content of tnsnames.ora to make sure the database name is correct. I've started the listener with "lsnrctl start" command and also run OCJ4 instance.
However when running the Oracle Form, the error message I received was "ora-12514 tns listener could not resolve service_name given in connect descriptor".
I copied the content of tnsnames.ora and listener.ora:

# tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

GLOBAL =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = LeeLee)(PORT = 8888))
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = global)
)
)

EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SID = PLSExtProc)
(PRESENTATION = RO)
)
)

# listener.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1\network\admin\listener.ora
# Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
(SID_LIST =
(SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\Db_1)
(PROGRAM = extproc)
)
)

LISTENER =
(DESCRIPTION_LIST =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC))
)
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = LeeLee)(PORT = 8888))
)
)
)

What can I do to fix this error?Please help.Many thanks.
Re: ora-12514 error tns: no listener [message #140858 is a reply to message #140724] Wed, 05 October 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
What were the contents of the tnsnames.ora and listener.ora that were build during the installation. That is, what have you changed to get the files that you have now.

David
Re: ora-12514 error tns: no listener [message #140889 is a reply to message #140858] Thu, 06 October 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilicen
I changed only the port number, from 1521 (default) to 8888, because the first time I tried to run the form, an error message popped up telling me that it couldn't use the port number I provided (1521). And when I changed it to 8888, the "tns: no listener" error appeared.
I did try to change back the port number to 1521, but the error was still the same (no listener).
Re: ora-12514 error tns: no listener [message #140890 is a reply to message #140889] Thu, 06 October 2005 01:26 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I don't think you need to run the listener and OC4J. All you need to do is start the OC4J. I suggest logging off / closing down and then starting again but without specifically starting the listener. See what happens. You must have run that command from the DOS prompt. I suggest only using the startcuts listed off the Oracle branch of the start menu. Hmmm. The listener is for the database, right? May I humbly suggest that you don't use the name 'global' for your database instance, or was that the supplied entry? Possibly, yes, as you said you only changed the 1521 to 8888. 8888 is the DS port, consider changing the 1521 to 1523 (just a guess). Put it all back the way you had it, run the listener, and see if the SQL*Plus facility works.

Also look at http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/network.102/b14212/troublestng.htm#BCGEJFJJ which I got to from http://www.orafaq.com/about/search and searching by the error message.

I haven't run 9i/10g against a local database so my sample files are not that helpful, sorry.

David
Previous Topic: uploading word,excel,pdf,autocad files
Next Topic: Restricting User Sessions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 02:07:24 CDT 2024