Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Using Motif together with Oracle Form (merged)
icon7.gif  Using Motif together with Oracle Form (merged) [message #138825] Sat, 24 September 2005 04:06 Go to next message
joseph_ng

Hi guys,

Although I have some basic training with Oracle 9i but I am totally clueless when it comes to form development. Recently, some customers want us to include some xterm motif functions into our Oracle forms eg, highlight and drag the information from a unix xterm shell into the oracle form.

I know that Oracle has already provided some motif environment libraries but I want to know if this is a hard-to-do enchancement and where can I get more information. Thanks

Kind Regards
Joseph
Motif with Oracle Form [message #138827 is a reply to message #138825] Sat, 24 September 2005 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joseph_ng
Hi guys,

Although I have some basic training with Oracle 9i but I am totally clueless when it comes to form development. Recently, some customers want us to include some xterm motif functions into our Oracle forms eg, highlight and drag the information from a unix xterm shell into the oracle form.

I know that Oracle has already provided some motif environment libraries but I want to know if this is a hard-to-do enchancement and where can I get more information. Thanks

Kind Regards
Joseph
Re: Using Motif together with Oracle Form [message #138932 is a reply to message #138825] Sun, 25 September 2005 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I thought 'copy' and 'paste' worked without any special code? What else do you want to do? To 'copy' 'select' the text and press the appropriate key combination. To 'paste', make the receiving area active (click the 'box') and press the appropriate key combination for this new environment.

David
Re: Using Motif together with Oracle Form [message #138984 is a reply to message #138932] Mon, 26 September 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joseph_ng

Hi Martin,

I understand what you mean. But in this case, the customer want the exact "drag and drop" action from the xterm window into the Oracle form. Copy and paste is not accepted. I can't argue with them on this because its written on the specs.

Kind Regards
Joseph
Re: Using Motif together with Oracle Form [message #139209 is a reply to message #138984] Mon, 26 September 2005 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I have done a Google search which gave me no decent hits. Sorry but I think you may need to log a TAR with Oracle for assistance on this matter. You mention "Oracle has already provided some motif environment libraries". Would you have a reference to this information?

I also don't have a clear mental image of what you mean by drag-and-drop. For me, it means you 'click' in a field and then 'drag' it to another field. This means, to me, that you need a Java 'thingy' in the windows based Oracle form that can 'see' into the motif window so that it knows when you have clicked on that field.

As you are the 'dumb bunny' (base grade) programmer that has been stuck with this 'specification', I strongly suggest that you contact the 'all-seeing all-knowing' analyst/designer and ask them 'okay, you promised it, now you tell me who has done one of these before!'.

Sorry to sound negative but Oracle Forms is a great tool, but not in 'mixed' environments. A TAR is probably the best first step, get them looking at it for you, then search all the java sites you can find starting with Oracle 9i and 10g Forms web site, and then try the OTN forums and google.

David
Re: Using Motif together with Oracle Form [message #139220 is a reply to message #139209] Mon, 26 September 2005 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joseph_ng

Hi Martin,

Thanks for prompt and detailed reply. You are right, I need to talk with those guys as soon as possible before they start pushing the blame on me.

Kind Regards
Joseph

Re: Using Motif together with Oracle Form [message #139221 is a reply to message #139220] Mon, 26 September 2005 21:00 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Extremely sensible idea ... they're the ones getting the 'big bucks', make them work for it. Always raise issues like this IMMEDIATELY you come across them. That's why it is imperative that developers read the specifications in their entirety before starting work on them. These things HAVE to be solved EARLY.

Good luck ... by the way, it may be possible to do what you asked using JDeveloper. Check out the JDev home page and its subordinate links.

David
Previous Topic: Want examples of Forms project with source code
Next Topic: 6i Forms and Reports on client Server: URGENT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 02:07:23 CDT 2024