Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination
ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination [message #138541] Thu, 22 September 2005 07:59 Go to next message
tall_gs
Hi,

I am a silent reader of this forum.

I installed Oracle 9i and Oracle Developer - Forms 6i successfully in my personal Laptop(Win XP). I configured TNSNAMES.ORA file in "C:\oracle\ora92\network\admin" folder for SQL Plus and "C:\oracle\ora\NET80\ADMIN" folder for Forms. I was able to run Forms and SQL Plus successfully.

Today I installed Netscape Internet service. After this installation i am not able to connect neither to Forms nor to SQL Plus. I am getting the errors "ORA-12517: TNS:Packet writer failure" and "ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination". Also, with SQL Plus, without giving connection string, I'm able to connect with scott/tiger.

If i uninstall Netscape, I'm able to connect to both.

My questions are,

1. what Netscape has to do with Oracle DB?
2. How I'm able to connect to SQL Plus without giving connection string? Which connection string SQL Plus is using by default?
3. What do I need to do to make Forms and SQL Plus work properly(without uninstalling Netscape) Smile

This is the configuration I made.
---------------------------------
DB =
(DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = babu-t698gaaty6)(PORT = 1521))
)
(CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVER = DEDICATED)
(SERVICE_NAME = DB)
)
)

Kindly help..

Thanks in Advance!
Re: ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination [message #138676 is a reply to message #138541] Fri, 23 September 2005 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
1) no idea
2) Search this forum (or google) for 'two_task', which is the Unix equal to windows 'default', for which you could also search. I don't remember where it is but it is the entry that controls the default Oracle session. Maybe Oracle.ini??
3) Search this forum for 'ifile' and use the technique to make the two tnsnames.ora files match. Having different databases for different applications is probably not a 'good' idea.

David

[Updated on: Mon, 26 September 2005 18:50]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination [message #139151 is a reply to message #138676] Mon, 26 September 2005 12:33 Go to previous message
tall_gs
David,

Thanks for your reply. Let me try that and get back to you if I have any queries.

Thanks.
Previous Topic: how to use restricted procedure ???
Next Topic: Want examples of Forms project with source code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 02:03:20 CDT 2024