Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » ORDER bye clause
ORDER bye clause [message #136898] Mon, 12 September 2005 03:38 Go to next message
nostalgia

how can i order a tabuler data base block using a non-data base item in the order by clause ???

ex.

i have

student_no , student_name as data base items in block STD

then i added a non-data-base item student_ID in the same block STD

i get the data of student_id in post change of student_no ??

i want to order the block STD by student_id

[Updated on: Mon, 12 September 2005 03:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ORDER bye clause [message #137027 is a reply to message #136898] Mon, 12 September 2005 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
A couple of things first:
1) unless you are writing in Forms 2.3 or 3 DO NOT USE Post-Change, use When-Validate-Item to get the student_ID when you enter a new student_name
2) use Post-Query to populate non-database fields

Now to answer your question:
The 'order by' is done at the database level, not in the form. You therefore have to access the 'order by' field IN the database. To do this use either a View or a Procedure. If you have access to Oracle Designer then use a procedure, if not then create a view. Use the public view USER_UPDATABLE_COLUMNS to make sure that you still have update capability on your data fields.

David
Re: ORDER bye clause [message #139664 is a reply to message #137027] Thu, 29 September 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nostalgia

2) use Post-Query to populate non-database fields

why?!!!
i can use POST_CHANGE and it 'll give me the same result!!
Re: ORDER bye clause [message #139668 is a reply to message #139664] Thu, 29 September 2005 02:09 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
From the reference manual:
Quote:

Post-Change Trigger

Description
Fires when any of the following conditions exist:
. The Validate the Item process determines that an item is marked as Changed and is not NULL.
. An operator returns a value into an item by making a selection from a list of values, and the item is not NULL.
. Form Builder fetches a non-NULL value into an item. In this case, the When-Validate-Item trigger does not fire. If you want to circumvent this situation and effectively get rid of the Post-Change trigger, you must include a Post-Query trigger in addition to your When-Validate-Item trigger. See "Usage Notes" below.

Definition Level - form, block, or item

Legal Commands
SELECT statements, unrestricted built-ins

Enter Query Mode - no

Usage Notes
. The Post-Change trigger is included only for compatibility with previous versions of Form Builder. Its use is not recommended in new applications.
. The Post-Query trigger does not have the restrictions of the Post-Change trigger. You can use Post-Query to make changes to the fetched database values. Given such changes, Form Builder marks the corresponding items and records as changed.

On Failure
If fired as part of validation initiated by navigation, navigation fails, and the focus remains in the original item.

If there are V2-style triggers in the form and Form Builder is populating a record with fetched values, the following restrictions apply:
. Form Builder ignores any attempt to change the value of a database item in the record.
. Form Builder does not execute any SELECT statement that only affects database items in the record.
. Form Builder does not execute a SELECT statement that does not have an INTO clause.
. If Form Builder does not execute a SELECT statement in a V2-style trigger step, it treats the trigger step as though the step succeeded, even when the Reverse Return Code trigger step property is set. During fetch processing, Post-Change triggers defined as PL/SQL triggers do not operate with these restrictions. Regardless of trigger style, during a record fetch, Form Builder does not perform validation checks, but marks the record and its items as Valid, after firing the Post-Change trigger for each item.

Fires In
Validate the Item
Fetch Records
Review Process Flowcharts

Post-Change Trigger restrictions
Note that it is possible to write a Post-Change trigger that changes the value of an item that Form Builder is validating. If validation succeeds, Form Builder marks the changed item as Valid and does not revalidate it. While this behavior is necessary to avoid validation loops, it does allow you to commit an invalid value to the database.
David
Previous Topic: FRM-40654 occurs on second update
Next Topic: DDE for WEB Forms
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 01:51:16 CDT 2024