Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » help
help [message #113230] Thu, 31 March 2005 14:53 Go to next message
dmack
Hi I am new to the oracle developer suite and I am having some trouble with a form I created.I have created a form with two blocks:

1. Miscellaneous Block : with a text item (this will contain the call number that will be used to query)and the tool bar.

2. Program detals block :(this will be populated by program names)

I am having trouble poulating the second block when the call no is entered in the text item in the first block.
Re: help [message #113270 is a reply to message #113230] Thu, 31 March 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Make sure that you have defined a 'relation' on the first block which connects it to the second block.
Re: help [message #113344 is a reply to message #113230] Fri, 01 April 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dmack
Thank u very much for your suggestion of defining a 'relation'.

Subsequently, I have defined a relation between two blocks inventory and details.The link is inventory.prog_id and details.details_prog_no.

The 'details' block is visible on the canvas and contains the display items that will display (program names)that is to be referenced from the inventory (table)this block is not visible on the canvas.

Secondly, the miscellaneous block (this is the third block)contains the text field item where the details_id is to be inputted to run the query.

Problem : I am having trouble in writing the query (how do I include the text field item and where do i place the query)
Re: help [message #113461 is a reply to message #113344] Sun, 03 April 2005 22:26 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Okay ... master/detail means that - a master block, typically based on a table. While you are still getting everything to hang together properly, place this master block as the first block in your form and display most of its fields for 5 or 6 records. Then define the detail block, again typically based on a table, as the second block in the form and display 5 or 6 records on the same canvas as the first block (but lower down the screen of course). Go back to the first block and create a relation between the first and second block.

Compile and run your form.

You will, by default, start in the first block. Press the execute-query button and the top block will populate. If there are any detail entries for the active line in the top block then they will appear in the bottom block.

Typically, a control field is not necessary for performing query operations. I know MANY applications that use them but they are IMHO contrary to the philosophy of Oracle forms and are only used where 'generic' look and feel has been requested [read: the analyst is from the 'old' non-oracle school of screen presentation].
Previous Topic: Forms 6i hangup
Next Topic: No image on an Iconic Button
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 18:51:56 CDT 2024