Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Diff between Post change and When validate Item
Diff between Post change and When validate Item [message #82441] Tue, 27 May 2003 05:45 Go to next message
Vinayak Awasthi
Hi All,

what is the diff between the above two triggers.
what is the effect if the same code is written on the two triggers.

Regards
Vinayak
Re: Diff between Post change and When validate Item [message #82443 is a reply to message #82441] Tue, 27 May 2003 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
magnetic
forms developer help explains that very good
open developer and use F1 key
search for post-change-trigger
Re: Diff between Post change and When validate Item [message #82473 is a reply to message #82443] Thu, 29 May 2003 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sun
If u use post change trigger , u no need to use post text item and when validate trigger. i.e if u dont change the value when validate trigger will not fire.. if u r not coming out of the item post text item will not work.. instead the problem will be solved by writting in post-change trigger
Re: Diff between Post change and When validate Item [message #190606 is a reply to message #82473] Thu, 31 August 2006 06:53 Go to previous message
Nebulix
Sun wrote on Thu, 29 May 2003 13:32

If u use post change trigger , u no need to use post text item and when validate trigger. i.e if u dont change the value when validate trigger will not fire.. if u r not coming out of the item post text item will not work.. instead the problem will be solved by writting in post-change trigger

when validate will fire if you leave the empty field in a new record.
In my opinion none of these triggers does what I need most of the time i.e. fire only when a changed record is left (even if i don't leave the field). So this is what happens:
case 1: leave the empty field in new record
case 2: retrieve a value from the DB
case 3: leave field unchanged
case 4: leave field with changed value
case 5: commit without leaving field

post-change fires in cases 2, 4 and 5
when-validate fires in cases 1, 4, 5
post-text fires in cases 1, 3, 4, 5

Regards
Previous Topic: CUSTOM.pll query help
Next Topic: Only one checkbox should be checked at a time
Goto Forum: