Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Special Characters (11g)
Special Characters [message #480862] Wed, 27 October 2010 20:13 Go to next message
chris32680
Hi all,
We have a table with an nvarchar column that we use to store product descriptions.

This field is maintained on a web form created with the htp package.

Whenever a special character is used (ie, the copyright symbol, trademark, etc), the value is stored correctly in the DB. I've verified this because if i query the value in sql developer, i do see the correct symbol.

However, pulling this piece of data out to display in a formtext box (for edit) replaces all the special characters with ?'s.

Our National Character Set value is set to UTF-8.

Is this being caused by our database character set? or is it a web design problem that i'm just not aware of.

I can post code snippets if this isn't enough info...but I was hoping it'd be fairly simple.

Thanks all.
Re: Special Characters [message #480864 is a reply to message #480862] Wed, 27 October 2010 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSwan
>Is this being caused by our database character set?

You already answered this question

the value is stored correctly in the DB. I've verified this because if i query the value in sql developer, i do see the correct symbol.

Problem is data presentation issue with client
Re: Special Characters [message #480946 is a reply to message #480864] Thu, 28 October 2010 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chris32680
That's what i was thinking too. However, I do believe it's the encoding of our pl/sql procedure that's not producing the correct encoding for the output. The reason i think this, is because if we run the same procedure on our Application Express DB, which has character sets set to AL32UTF8, the encoding of the output is correct.

Any ideas?
Re: Special Characters [message #481026 is a reply to message #480946] Fri, 29 October 2010 06:46 Go to previous message
chris32680
I've confirmed that in order for our pl/sql procedure to output the html with the valid encoding, the CHARACTER SET value needs to be AL32UTF8.
Previous Topic: webutil_file
Next Topic: Forms 10g is not running.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Sep 19 17:22:22 CDT 2024