Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Optimal configuration for slow connection users (Forms 10g, IAS with Unix, Client with windows vista)
Optimal configuration for slow connection users [message #432357] Mon, 23 November 2009 16:29 Go to next message
igorcb
We have migrated a system from forms 6i C/S to 10g.
System works fine but we have some users with slow connections of 128 Kbytes, when these users try to connect to the system the first form delays like 6 minutes to be shown in the browser, after that the system works fine, not so fast, but it works.
We have analyzed the network traffic with a hardware network analyzer and have found that each time that the user tries to connect the browser (or the system) downloads a lot of files like cls, plls, dlls, gifs, etc.
My question is:
Is there any way to configures IAS or client computer to download these objects just once (or only re-download them again if necessary)?
Thanks on advance

Igor
Re: Optimal configuration for slow connection users [message #432743 is a reply to message #432357] Thu, 26 November 2009 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
I think it is also downloading the JInitiator as well.

Try attaching ALL the libraries and object groups to the first form in your application. The initial open will still be slow but no more libraries will need to be downloaded after that.

I think this is a problem for metalink.

David
Re: Optimal configuration for slow connection users [message #432940 is a reply to message #432743] Fri, 27 November 2009 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
igorcb
Thanks DJMartin,
Your answers are always helpful, without this forum and specially without your interventions it would be impossible for me to solve many of the problems that I had in this project.

But this time I think I was not clear exposing what I need, maybe it is my English, you know my mother language is Spanish, not English.

Well, let me tell you what is happening to my users.
My company has a system made in Forms 6i that I and some other engineers have recently migrated to 10g. We have two kinds of users first ones are connected to the server with a LAN and they have some problems but they can work ok. The main problem happens with the remote users that connect trough a 128k WAN (Communications in my country are not like in USA or Europe). In the past when the system was in Forms 6i client-server architecture these users accessed it using Terminal Service, when we migrated the system we pretended to access it directly from the browser but the user reported that the first screen never was shown, we went back to the terminal service (this time accessing the browser from TS) while we find a solution but the user says the system is a lot slower than the one he used to use in Forms 6i. Since them we have tested the system in the same conditions of WAN and the system starts but after a long delay that can be between 6 and 10 minutes this is not acceptable for the user. I tried to see why is it delaying so much and I found that in that time many files are downloaded to the client machine and they are downloaded each time that the user tries to get in the system. If these files would be downloaded just once maybe we could avoid the delaying and the WAN users would be happy.

Thanks on advance for answering this message
Re: Optimal configuration for slow connection users [message #432954 is a reply to message #432940] Fri, 27 November 2009 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Could you pre-install JInitiator to (at least) one of those slow computers and see what happens?
Re: Optimal configuration for slow connection users [message #432967 is a reply to message #432954] Fri, 27 November 2009 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
igorcb
I have allready pre-installed jinitiator in all the PC's. That is not the problem thanks
Re: Optimal configuration for slow connection users [message #437324 is a reply to message #432940] Sun, 03 January 2010 23:00 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Did you try attaching all the libraries to the first form?

David
Previous Topic: Arithmatic Operation on Time
Next Topic: Client Minimum Optimal Requirements for Forms 10g
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 02:40:40 CDT 2024