Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Loading data from excel to Oracle via forms; (Oracle 10G Developer Suite;)
Loading data from excel to Oracle via forms; [message #431420] Tue, 17 November 2009 05:09 Go to next message
ashish.hussain
Hi,

I have a requirement wherein it is required to access an excel file at some location and then load data from that excel to Oracle 10G database via Oracle 10G forms.

Would anyone know how this could be achieved ?

Would very much appreciate your help and prompt response.

Thanks/Regards,
Ashish.
Re: Loading data from excel to Oracle via forms; [message #431625 is a reply to message #431420] Wed, 18 November 2009 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
linlasj
Hi, you should use SQL*Loader to do that job. The data must be inserted, I presume, in a database.

Maybe even the DATA PUMP can be used. But I do not think so.
Re: Loading data from excel to Oracle via forms; [message #432412 is a reply to message #431420] Tue, 24 November 2009 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashish.hussain
Hi Lin,

am not sure if I understood you.
Perhaps I could elaborate my requirement here:

I have an Oracle 10G Form, which would have a field to contain some path (Unix) along with a filename (xls).
And then, I want to process this file through some method in Oracle 10G Dev Suite, and be able to load it into the database.

I have been exploring the idea of Text_IO.
Could you or anyone else provide any inputs ?

Thanks/Regards,
Ashish.
Re: Loading data from excel to Oracle via forms; [message #432484 is a reply to message #431420] Tue, 24 November 2009 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cookiemonster
If your excel file is .xls then text_io won't be able to read it.
Text_io is for reading text files. xls is a binary file.
Can you get the excel file in .csv format?
That's a text format will make your life a lot easier.

Assuming you get your data in text format I'd agree with linlasj and suggest you use sqlloader. It's specifically designed to load data from text files into the database.
Using forms to do this job just makes it more complicated than it needs to be.
Re: Loading data from excel to Oracle via forms; [message #433104 is a reply to message #431420] Mon, 30 November 2009 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ashish.hussain
Hi Cookie / Lin,

Thanks very much for the inputs.
Will give it a go, might have to come back back to you guys again perhaps if something wont start.

Regards,
Ashish.
Re: Loading data from excel to Oracle via forms; [message #437328 is a reply to message #433104] Sun, 03 January 2010 23:07 Go to previous message
djmartin
Account Moderator
Search this forum for 'excel'. Many people have asked this or a similar question.

David
Previous Topic: Cannot update data with Oracle form
Next Topic: Error in search (merged 6)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 02:26:23 CDT 2024