Home » Developer & Programmer » Forms » Using Forms with XE (Forms 6.0.8.25.2, MS Windows XP)
Using Forms with XE [message #417388] Fri, 07 August 2009 15:21 Go to next message
garihood
I have been using Forms 6 against our production (UNIX based) database for years now. For querying and routine "stuff" I use TOAD.

Recently I wanted to do some standalone development, so I downloaded Oracle 10g XE. It works great. TOAD connects to it just fine.

What I would like to do now, and am having problems doing, is connecting Forms to the XE database. I'd like to get a setup where Forms will work with both databases.

I just can't get Forms to see the XE database. I get the error:
ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name.

I've made sure that my tnsnames.ora files contain the XE entries. I've moved the listener.ora that is found in XE's "admin" folder to my orant "admin" folder and still have no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Re: Using Forms with XE [message #417397 is a reply to message #417388] Fri, 07 August 2009 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Littlefoot
Account Moderator
Although people still use Forms 6i, this product is obsolete; even its extended support ended. This, of course, doesn't mean that you can't make this combination (Forms 6i + database 10g XE) work, but there's also no guarantee that you'll really manage to set up a stable environment.

As you've already installed 10g XE, perhaps you could move on to Application Express (APEX) (instead of Forms 6i).
Re: Using Forms with XE [message #417402 is a reply to message #417397] Fri, 07 August 2009 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
garihood
Our organization is still using Forms 6i. We are preparing for an upward migration, but for the time being, everything needs to be 6i. So I am stuck, at least for the time being, with it and still would like to get it to work with XE.
Re: Using Forms with XE [message #417491 is a reply to message #417388] Sun, 09 August 2009 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djmartin
Account Moderator
This moving of files is dumb. You need to modify your EXISTING configuration, not overwrite it. LOOK at what is in the existing 'admin' area and what is in the new database 'admin' area and copy the NEW definitions to the existing definitions.

Search this forum for 'tns_admin' and start from there.

David
Re: Using Forms with XE [message #417613 is a reply to message #417491] Mon, 10 August 2009 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
garihood
Thank you for the advice David. I'll check the forums for "tns_admin". But perhaps I wasn't making myself clear. I believe I have already done what you recommend when you recommend that the existing configuration should be modified.

I had taken the contents of the two existing configuration files (tnsnames.ora) and combined them into one. I have not overwritten any files. I did move one file (listener.ora) from the XE admin folder to my pre-existing admin folder simply because it did not exist there and was hoping it would make some sort of difference. It did not.

Now... Off to do another forum search...
Re: Using Forms with XE [message #417615 is a reply to message #417613] Mon, 10 August 2009 08:59 Go to previous message
garihood
Amazing how little time it takes to solve a problem when you have that last little bit of information. Using "tns_admin" works great.

Everything I had done was good up to a point. Once I set that variable it all fell into place.

Thank you David.
Previous Topic: how to display use id and session on form
Next Topic: 302000 non oracle exception when trying to open a windows browser from a unix generated form
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 09:41:31 CDT 2024